Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Teacher Appreciation Gift Idea: Flower Seed Packet



I'm pretty excited about the tutorial I have for you today. Although my little ones aren't old enough for school, I still have an appreciation for Teachers and all the hard work they do every year. I mean I love my little guy but I don't know how many of him all at once I could handle AND still actually teach them something! :-) 

I have this stamp and I loved the quote on it and I LOVE to garden so I was trying to come up with a way to merge the two together. Then it came to me. I'm not sure if you've ever heard of Hot Cocoa Sliders but Kerry over at  Kerry's Craft Blog has made several of these and they are super cute! So I decided to make something similar only instead of Hot Cocoa I'm going to use Seed packets. Something a teacher could definitely use! 
Supplies: 
  • 8 1/2" x 11" Kraft paper
  • Stamp or Sentiment of choice
  • Patterned paper and cardstock for trim
  • Ribbon
  • Border Punch
  • Hole Punch
  • Adhesive
  • Trimmer/Scissors
  • Ruler
  • Seed Packet of Choice ( I used carrot seeds because that is what I had on hand, but you could certainly use flowers or maybe even apple seeds!)

Supplies

Measure your seed packet. Mine was 3 1/4"w x 4 1/2"h. This will let you know the measurement for the wrapper. I added 1" to the height and added 5 1/4" to the width. No real scientific reason, I just liked the way it looked when it wrapped around. 
So my final dimensions are:
 Kraft Layer: 8 1/2" x 5 1/2"
Patterned Paper Layer: 8 1/4"x 3 3/4" 

*when using 8 1/2" x 11" Kraft paper, cut the long side (11" side) down to 5 1/2". Why? because you will get two wrappers the exact size you need. Sounds easy, but if you are like me you will need reminded of this little hint. I'm the one that has to measure three times, not two, just to get one cut right! Two just doesn't do it for me. LOL :-)

It's easier to wrap around if you score the wrapper first. 
I scored the Kraft paper at 2 1/2" and 6 1/8" and the patterned paper at 2" and 5 5/8". You might need to adjust the measurements depending on your seed packet and how much "wiggle" room you want. 
*If you don't have a scorer don't worry, just fold over at the measured spot and use a straight edge to flatten. 

Punch out your decorative trim.
 I used a corner/border punch (you could easily use decorative scissors.)

Cut trim to fit front side of wrapper. 1/2" x 3 5/8". 

Stamp image that you will be using. 
*Update: I now have a tutorial on how to create this stamped image here*

Assemble wrapper with adhesive and punch hole about 1/4" from top
*Remember to put trim on under pattern paper BEFORE adhering pattern paper to Kraft paper. 
If not, well, you just might have to redo this step, not that I would know anything about that....

Add ribbon & seed packet.  
I used about 10" or so. You will want to pull ribbon from the outside in.
 Push seed packet to the bottom of the wrapper then tie ribbon in a bow. 

 
All they have to do is untie and pull on the ribbon and ta-da! You've got seeds! 
You could even add a gift card if you wanted. 

How cute it that?!? 
Pair it up with a cute pot or jar and you've got a super cute and functional Teacher Appreciation gift!





This tutorial has been featured here:


cbh - scrapbook freebies search engineAs seen on CraftGossip.com
Totally Tutorials BlogSee Vanessa Craft






Linking up at these fun parties:
Making Monday Marvelous




Visit thecsiproject.com
wednesday's wowzers Lil\'Luna

mop it up mondaysSee Vanessa Craft
The Blackberry Vine 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for this post. I want to let you know that I posted a link to your blog in Creative Busy Bee Craft Inspirations, under the Page 5 post on Aug. 13, 2012. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...